Westbury will pay tribute to the fallen of the Great War when the town’s WW1 war memorial is rededicated on Sunday 17 August. The service which will be held in the churchyard of All Saints church takes place after morning service at 10.30.
The town’s first memorial was erected by the church in June 1921 – a tall stone shaft marked with a cross. Names of the fallen are listed in a roll of honour on the church. Restoration of the memorial was funded by the Westbury area board and carried out by local stonemasons, The monument has been power washed, new steps have been built, the stones around the base of the monument have been renewed and the dates recut. Everyone is welcome to attend this rededication.